HISTORY AND CULTURAL LIFE OF BARRIO MALAYEP

The barrio was established as early as 1886.

Malayep is bounded in the east by Cardona, in the west by the Ayson, in the north by Danzo, and in the south by Santiago. Before the barangay is divided into different puroks according to the name of trees, the family names of the foremost settlers, and the kind of soil in that place.

STORIES OF THE OLD BARRIO OR SITIOS WITHIN THE JURISDICTION WHICH ARE NOW DEPOPULATION OR EXTINCT

There was once a river where numerous people including a number of Aetas lived to catch fish. Several trees grew near the river which made the place cool. As the years went on, the river changed its course so that place cool. As years went on, the river changed its course so that its former course where sediment was deposited, became a wide field. Every now and then, the people cultivated the land and planted it with many vegetables. The soils were fertile and it enticed even traders who used to ply their trade in the place, decided to settle here. Huts however crude were built here and there. Not long after that, the place became barrio Malayep.

The people have different choices in the selection of sites where they would settle in their new place. Some came to inhabit a place where big trees called “Lupa” abound. Another group happened to build huts among plants that were infested with. The present official and popular name of the barrio in the past and present is Malayep. The barrio was established as early as 1886.

Malayep is bounded in the east by Cardona, in the west by the Ayson, in the north by Danzo, and in the south by Santiago. Before the barangay is divided into different puroks according to the name of trees, the family names of the foremost settlers, and the kind of soil in that place.