HISTORY AND CULTURE OF BARRIO RIZAL
It was during the Spanish regime that this barrio was established. During this time, the northern part of Tarlac town was a thick forest and was a hunting place for wild animals. a path was made by the hunters to be able to penetrate the wilderness. The first people to migrate to this place are the Sambals who came from the Province of Zambales. The Spanish “ALVINDIA”. The settlers cleared the forest and converted it into agricultural land.
In the year 1912, the boundary was divided. The greater portion was acquired by the town of Gerona. The greater portion retained its name Alvindia. The people called it barrio Putot because it was divided and shortened. It was when Don Antonio Solano became the Alcade of Gerona that the name Putot was changed to Rizal, its present name. Barrio Rizal was christened by the late Father Manuel Bonifacio, then parish priest of Gerona on December 20, 1912. The people under the leadership of Jorge Coles liked the name because it was in honor of the greatest Filipino hero and martyr, Dr. Jose Rizal. The Pampangos became the inhabitants with the highest population in the place.
During the Spanish regime, there was no Barrio Lieutenant. The barrio was not yet organized, but the people recognize the leadership of Don Jeorge Coles. The late Don Jorge Coles was the first Barrio Lieutenant from 1912 to 1935. He was succeeded by the late Pablo Macasaquit from 1919 to 1925. He was succeeded by Francisco Dueñas who served from 1930 to 1935 followed by Evaristo Mallari who served from 1930 to 1935, Sixto Pangan, from 1941 to 1945, then the younger generation who became heads of the barrio were Mr. Julian barles – 1946 to 1953, and Mr. Alfonso dela Cruz, Who served starting 1951.